Monday, December 1, 2008

Mumbai is resilient by force, not by choice.

They say Mumbai never sleeps. Its true. During the recent attacks Mumbai never slept. But the reason for Mumbai to stay awake was poles apart from the usual. Mumbai did not sleep because IT COULD NOT sleep. The horrors of the attack did not let anybody wink their eyes for the last 60 hours and I am sure it will not let anybody sleep with the usual normal comfort for the coming days.

Day after day people attack our city and country with renewed force; Day after day the scale on which the attacks are carried out increase. The terrorists seem to better their attack compared to their previous and we worsen our approach of handling such issues consistently. They have killed over 200 people and injured more than 300. I completely disagree. They have killed the confidence of the more than billion Indians and have left us with these horror stories.

Somebody asked me did you lose anybody in the attack. I said “Yes, I lost countrymen. My fellow Indians were injured”. I said I lost India’s most brave armymen and the policewalas whom we have never met but they have laid their lives for us. I do not know anybody who went through the circumstances personally but I also do not know why I was sad and angry. This was the depressing and saddest part of my life. I have never felt so helpless and powerless. I feel impotent. I am sick and tired of hearing that Mumbai is resilient or the people in city are resilient. The fact is we are not resilient. We are not going to comeback to work again as the way we use to before. We are not what we were before. We are heartbroken and we are angry. We have lost the confidence in ourselves that we can change things for better.

The terrorists are the second most cowardly people today, first being the politicians obviously. The lack of will power of politicians at central and state government is totally clear. They blame each other and we blame them. But nobody is ready to take the ownership and responsibility of it. Neither them nor us. They visit the ground zero. They say this will help in boosting the morale of the men in uniform. That’s the worst statement I ever heard in my life. I am not exaggerating but it’s true. Mr. Deshmukh is only worried about the security arrangement during his son’s wedding or Mr. Rane is only worried about the security of his son Nilesh. To tell you all what I have personally witnessed in my office bulding: Nilesh Rane son of Mr. Narayan Rane visited Madison office in Andheri in a golden BMW with a cavalcade of armed men, two gypsies!!! What has he done for us and why is he offered such a tight security? Mr. Deshmukh arrives at Taj with Ritesh and Ram Gopal Verma with smiles on their faces as if they have come for recce for a film that would be soon announced on the recent attacks. This has further made me and the entire Mumbai angry. We are literally fed up of the government. We need a change. Change in the leadership. We will vote them out during next election. But wait. Do we have choices? We have a person who has committed 4 murders and on the other hand a person who has raped one and murdered 2. You need to choose one of the two murderers during the election. This is just like somebody says I will kill you, but you have two choices; 1- You want to be killed by a Gun; 2- You want to be killed by poison. The result is the same. So if we vote the other the result IS going to be the same or maybe even worse. This further angers me.

I want the people of Mumbai and India to be angry. Anger is good today. I want all of us to keep this anger alive. This anger will drive us in creating a safe future and trusted system for our coming generations. We need to channelize this anger. We SHALL NOT forget this.

“We need to be in the system to change the system”, this was said in the past by many and we have heard it a millions of times maybe. But now is an opportunity to realize this; we have no choice today and therefore we need to create a choice today for our better tomorrow. Let’s together be resilient by choice and not by force.

No comments: